Monday, January 4, 2010

Lessons

One of the most important and difficult lessons I have ever learned was taught by, of all people, a restaurant manager.  As a waitress I encountered many people, and each of those people brought their own realities accompanied by an assortment of moods.  The manager explained the importance of accepting and understanding this in order to better serve the customer.  The person I was serving could have recently received devastating news which might result in them lashing out at me...the person who was just there to serve them a meal.  I had to read that mood and respond in a way that either let them be or maybe allowed them a brief escape from that reality.  Those were usually the most challenging customers.  The ones who came in feeling that their world was just right typically posed no problem.  The key was to take the time and be present when talking with them.  Pay attention...listen...consider their feelings... 
It doesn't make any sense to me that a restaurant manager is the only person to have ever stated this simple truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment